Close

Cougar throttle issue

I've been trying to get my sim pit set back up and have run into a problem. For those of you that are running the Cougar throttle, have you experienced a "runaway" radar cursor? I've have done everything from recalibration to setting up the axis with all the variant different dead zone settings. I have done nothing different since I packed up my sim except I am now running 4.33 with the throttle.

There are a couple of post I have read on the BMS forum that points to people having the same problem and people are suggesting to go to the BMS 4.33 manual, ch12 on key callbacks. That there is a fix. I have yet to find what they are speaking of.

Does anyone know the solution this problem?

Thanks
    Metro

"See ya around the pattern!"
    Metro

Desktop: Intel i7-6700 3.40GHz Quad-Core Processor, 32GB DDR4 Memory, RTX 2080, LED, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC) 08G-P4-5173-KR Graphics, 500gb SSD, 1TB HDD, DVDRW, HP Reverb, Visio E-series 50" Ultra 4K 60 hz entertainment display, 18.5" I-INC monitor 100000:1 dynamic contrast, Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-Bit

Yeah, mine slowly creeps forward no matter what I do, nor in DCS though.

Well this is what I have learned. When BMS 4.33 came out, they apparently did not take into account that people where going to use the Cougar throttle with TQS USB adapter. More and more people started to purchase the adapter so the could use their Warthog stick in conjunction with the Cougar throttle as I am doing. Many people where experiencing drift with their radar cursor and the speed in which it drifted varied from person to person. Some people could simply go into the axis shaping tool in the advance tab avionics for the radar cursor and select a larger dead zone for the axis. That solved some people's problems. I used the "large" dead zone back on 4.32 and it worked fine for me. Now it doesen't. BMS implemented a new call back to try and fix the problem and it is "shift y" SimCursorStopMovement. That still did not work for me. So I kept researching and found some people went to their game controller in windows and recalibrate the throttle. During the recalibration, you have to physically hold the radar cursor axis stationary on the graph on the calibration screen and then click to calibrate it. I tried it and it stopped the movement of my cursor. It works for the most part for now and it is my workaround. For anyone else, simply setting the dead zone may be enough.

Metro

Desktop: Intel i7-6700 3.40GHz Quad-Core Processor, 32GB DDR4 Memory, RTX 2080, LED, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC) 08G-P4-5173-KR Graphics, 500gb SSD, 1TB HDD, DVDRW, HP Reverb, Visio E-series 50" Ultra 4K 60 hz entertainment display, 18.5" I-INC monitor 100000:1 dynamic contrast, Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-Bit

I did calibrate in Windows and set a medium dead zone in BMS but still get the drift. I will try your solution as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro View Post
    Well this is what I have learned. When BMS 4.33 came out, they apparently did not take into account that people where going to use the Cougar throttle with TQS USB adapter. More and more people started to purchase the adapter so the could use their Warthog stick in conjunction with the Cougar throttle as I am doing. Many people where experiencing drift with their radar cursor and the speed in which it drifted varied from person to person. Some people could simply go into the axis shaping tool in the advance tab avionics for the radar cursor and select a larger dead zone for the axis. That solved some people's problems. I used the "large" dead zone back on 4.32 and it worked fine for me. Now it doesen't. BMS implemented a new call back to try and fix the problem and it is "shift y" SimCursorStopMovement. That still did not work for me. So I kept researching and found some people went to their game controller in windows and recalibrate the throttle. During the recalibration, you have to physically hold the radar cursor axis stationary on the graph on the calibration screen and then click to calibrate it. I tried it and it stopped the movement of my cursor. It works for the most part for now and it is my workaround. For anyone else, simply setting the dead zone may be enough.

You sure that your potentiometer isn't going bad?

Intel Core i7 i7-7700K 4.2 GhZ (turbo 4.5 GhZ) Processor; ASRock Z270 Killer SLI/AC Motherboard; Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200 MHz Memory; EVGA GeForce 1080 GTX FTW 8 GB Video Card; 1x500 GB SATA 3 GB/s Western Digital HDD; 1X2000 GB SATA 6 GB/s Western Digital HDD; LG 34 inch 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD IPS Monitor; 2x 8 inch VGA CCTV MFD monitors with Thrustmaster MFD buttons installed, Propnut ICP, Thrustmaster Cougar (Warthog Grip), Track IR 5, Windows 10 Home 64 Bit

No guarantee that it ain't but it worked fine before I packed everything up. Also there are a ton of people experiencing the same issue for the Cougar using the USB adapter and other throttle brands (x52. CH etc.). That was the reason BMS added the key callback SimCursorStopMovement to the config for this particar issue. That leads me to believe it is a software issue and the compatibility with any controller that is not the original Cougar controller.

Oh yeah Propnut. You have to make sure the + sign is centered by moving the cursor switch to the center of the graph box prior to hitting the calibrate. Need a real steady hand or it will still move in game.

Agreed, I had planned on using artist putty to keep the pad from moving while I did the final step calibrating it.

56th VFW / 63rd VFS Pilot Figmo's Avatar
    Nice job in researching and finding this info. Thanks for your time and effort, Metro.

Sure thing Figmo. Don't know if it will do any good for that masses but it seems to be, at the least, a good workaround so that I can fly again.

Metro