Close

Thread: Graphic cards

WeakLink

Graphic cards

Hey guys, Had a few personal problems to deal with but back now. Just got computer hooked up and FPS run 60 inside (2D world) in flight about 40 FPS and down low about 33-35 FPS (TGP, FLIR and TFR) running. No stutter seen but would like to raise FPS to deal with BMS, I am running 4.33U1 and with possible updates (in 3-4 weeks) like to run higher on the FPS issue.

Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    Power supply Thermaltake 650W
    AMD FX Processor Black Edition 8 core, 3.5 GHz, 16.0MB total cache
    Radeon Graphic Card R9 270 memory 2GB DDR5
    HP 25" HD momitor
    Track IR 5

So the question is what card any suggestions

56th VFW/ 63rd VFS CO TeeSquare's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I am using an Nvidia GTX 760 and the sim runs smooth with 3d on one monitor at 2080x1920 and MFDs + gauges on a second monitor. Everything turned on except high def tiles and high def clouds. The nice thing about Nvidia is that the card comes with a built in recorder so I can record the flights with no hit on FPS. I would think anything at least at this level or better would be good.

56th VFW/ 63rd VFS Pilot
    I'm no expert..but do your homework on power requirements. Some of the super-cards really suck down power and you only have a 650W power supply. Don't wanna run out of juice as I'm sure that would cause problems?

Due to the nature of its old code...Falcon also benefits from a speedy CPU. When running Falcon, the video card is not even working hard (based on fan speed) on my system. Multi-core, multi-thread is useless for Falcon...just raw clock speed. At least that is my understanding.

Since the new Nvidia cards came out, the older uber-cards are pretty cheap. I'd recommend what Teesquare says, and also recommend getting one from someone who puts in big quiet fans. I have an EVGA GTX-780 with 6GB of RAM....I love it. Nice and quiet.

Ha ha I think the first question you may want to answer is "how much do I want to spend?".

This table in the link below is very helpful...lets you see the relative performance of each video card, and cuts through all the mumbo-jumbo. It is from end of last year, but still very helpful.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...rchy,4388.html

Hope this helps.

FB

Hey Weaklink. You are probably running into the same situation I have. I don't think it is a card issue. I run the AMD FX processor and I believe that is the problem. Although it is a decent processor, it isn't an I7. I am considering switching to the Intel processor to solve my issue. Everyone I have talked to that has good success uses the Intel. Don't really know why but they do.
    Just my thoughts.

"See ya around the pattern!"
    Metro

Desktop: Intel i7-6700 3.40GHz Quad-Core Processor, 32GB DDR4 Memory, RTX 2080, LED, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC) 08G-P4-5173-KR Graphics, 500gb SSD, 1TB HDD, DVDRW, HP Reverb, Visio E-series 50" Ultra 4K 60 hz entertainment display, 18.5" I-INC monitor 100000:1 dynamic contrast, Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-Bit

56th VFW/ 63rd VFS CO TeeSquare's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have an old i7 myself and it is great for running all the different programs that need to be run simultaneously for the sim.

I have a 650 watt power supply too and had to get a couple of powered USB hubs. I have had devices stop working in the middle of the sim due to lack of power in past. No issues now with 2 powered hubs. Connect the more demanding devices like stick and throttle directly to the pc and not through a hub.
    Last edited by TeeSquare; 08-07-2016 at 10:44.