Close

Thread: Projector

56th VFW/ 63rd VFS Pilot Hardball's Avatar

Projector

Is anyone using an overhead projector and screen??

Wish I could find the thread that addressed this topic before Hardball. Essentially, the community has moved away from projectors and embraced 4K monitors. I have not seen it with my own eyes (I'm still checking couches for loose change to afford one), but apparently 4K is smoother with sharper colors and contrasts than a projector. Not to mention, with a simple HDMI cable, 4K TV's are easier to setup than the setup for a projector.

Any other 4K users, forgive me I've forgotten who you are, please pipe in with your experiences.

Cheers
    J

"Fighter pilots ne'er fear; Jolly Greens are always near!"

PRIMARY MACHINE:
    ASRock B450M MB // CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G // VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 1650 // MONITORS: LG 32" 4K w/ ASUS 21" Touchscreen // RAM: Corsair 16GB 3600 MHz DDR4 // HD: WD 512MB SSD M.2 2280 // OS: Windows 10 Pro // CONTROLS: FSSB 1 mod'd HOTAS Cougar & Saitek Pro Combat Rudder Peddles // 'PIT: Modified Akers-Barns Mk 1 Cockpit

SECONDARY MACHINE:
    Shuttle Barebones SH67H3 // CPU: Intel i7 3770K 3.4 GHz // VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 1050TI // RAM: Kingston 16GB 1333 MHz DDR 3 // HD: 1TB WD Green SATA 6Gb/s, 64MD Cache // OS: Windows 7 Ultimate // CONTROLS: Uber mod'edTM HOTAS Cougar w/ Cougar MFDs & Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals // 'PIT: Akers-Barnes Mark 1 Cockpit

56th VFW/ 63rd VFS CO TeeSquare's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I just got a 4k Monitor this year and it is amazing. I can usually identify the silhouettes of the tiny dots now. The gauges in the pit are really sharp and easier to read than the ones on my extracted monitor.

It put a much bigger load on my GPU so I upgraded to an Nvidia 1070. Some of my programs don't adapt to the resolution well and make text very small. The BMS UI window is like this in windowed mode. When making a mission, I can use the windows zoom tool but I cant leave that on while flying even when zoomed out or it messes things up.

Just do what I did and go with Triple 27'' bezel-less monitors. You'll thank me later.
    http://www.56thvfw.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=234&d=1502935133
    "Once you start thinking you're the best you might as well quit cause you won't get any better" -Dale Earnhardt

Quote Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
    Just do what I did and go with Triple 27'' bezel-less monitors. You'll thank me later.
    Chaser,

I read some reviews about the three monitor setup and some were saying that you get some stretching in the corners with a three monitor setup. That's why I went with a single display. But I am curious what monitors did you get that are "bezel-less"? That was challenging when I was shopping around finding one with the best res but also the smallest bezel.

Panic

MSI Z270 XPower Titanium MB, Intel i7-7700K, 32GB G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 3200 RAM, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Gaming, 512GB Samsung 960 Pro M.2 NVMe, 512GB Samsung Pro SSD, Sony XBR49X900E LED TV, Cougar HOTAS FSSB, TUSBA, MFG Crosswing Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5, Warthog HOTAS (backup because it was free!), OBUTTO Revolution Cockpit

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Chaser,

I read some reviews about the three monitor setup and some were saying that you get some stretching in the corners with a three monitor setup. That's why I went with a single display. But I am curious what monitors did you get that are "bezel-less"? That was challenging when I was shopping around finding one with the best res but also the smallest bezel.

Panic
    I have 3 Acer K272HL's. I don't think the stretching is remarkable. Meaning I don't think it's bad at all.
    http://www.56thvfw.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=234&d=1502935133
    "Once you start thinking you're the best you might as well quit cause you won't get any better" -Dale Earnhardt

56th VFW/ 63rd VFS Pilot
    I am very interested in this thread....been toying with the idea to upgrade to a 4K display for a while now. So 4K is the go-to solution these days?

Any recommended sizes? 50-ish inches seems about right. Also...any particular performance specs I need to watch for, or particular brands/models that work well. I am a Costco fan, so if it is available from them so much the better.

Once I upgrade, the current 27-inch monitor will become the display for the MFDs and instruments and such....SWEET !!! Would love to use a touchscreen for that...maybe that will be a future upgrade.

FB

PS: my kids will be cranky at me...they get by with an old Vizio 42 inch TV. ha ha ha It is the only TV in the house, not counting my theater room.